Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hello, welcome to my blog where I am detailing my experience with gastric bypass surgery. This was a decision that was a long time coming, I have been thinking about it for over a year. My main goal is to avoid the problems that obesity can lead to, such as diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure. I am a healthy person, except for my weight, and I want to keep it that way. I looked into two different surgeries, the lap band and the gastric bypass and opted for the latter. (For details on both and to hear about the program I chose go to www.hopebariatrics.com My surgeon is Dr.Felix, who is a very nice guy. He is experienced and seems to take his job very seriously.) I then started to jump through the hoops required by my insurance. I had to see my family doctor every month for six months, who put me on a 1900 calorie per day diet- which worked pretty well until Christmas :) I also had to see a psychologist and go through a huge panel of tests. All this leads up to my surgery which is today, I only have four hours until I report to the hospital- Sewickley Hospital for those familiar with the area. If all proceeds as planned I will be in the hospital for two nights, meaning I can come home Saturday- which is good because the Pens start their next play off round that afternoon. My official pre-surgery weight is 305, however I was up to 315 at my top weight. My goal, after surgery and the lifestyle changes that come with it, is 180 pounds. I don't think this is unrealistic, however it is a stretch. My intent with this blog is to document my success after surgery. Over the past week I have been fluctuating between very nervous and excited. Right now I am very hungry, as I was on a clear liquid diet yesterday and now can't have anything until after the surgery. I will try to post my surgery and hospital experience on Saturday. This is a major decision but in the end it will be worth it. Wish me luck!

1 comment: