Friday, May 8, 2009

The First Week

Day 1- I was discharged Saturday morning, just a little before noon. All together I was in the hospital nearly 48 hours. I was not in much pain because I was still taking full doses of percocet so most of the afternoon was spent relaxing in the recliner (a large feet due to awful play of the Penguins that day). I hurt as much as I did in the hospital, but if I didn't move much it wasn't awful. I continued to take the pain regulation on full doses at regular intervals. Day 2- Sunday was probably the worst day, excepting the immediate hours following surgery. The main cause was the build up of gas in my intestines that I could not pass. I grew very uncomfortable and found it hard to even find a comfortable position in the chair. I maintained the Phase 1 liquid diet and found that I could not eat more than 5 bites of Jello without being full. I did not have any cravings for any other foods- even the popcorn that the kids ate that day. I was coherent enough to visit with several people who were kind enough to stop in and see me, but I was ready to rest when they left. Getting up and down was difficult but easier than it was in the hospital. Day 3- Monday finally brought relief to the gas pressure. When I was able to pass it I became much more comfortable and I was able to relax. I started stretching the time between pain medications and even took half doses during the day, which helped my mind feel like I had come out of the fog. I was able to walk further and the pain from the incisions was not as severe, unless I coughed. I did spend a large portion of the day resting. I tried to drink as much water as I could, but it was difficult because it tasted funny to me (even bottled water so I couldn't blame the city). Day 4- I showed great improvement on Tuesday. I started to move more naturally, however still at a slower speed. I still had some pain, especially standing up or sitting down, but it was less than Monday. I began to move farther distances wanted to see how I felt so Kristen and I went to a department store to look for Mother's day presents. I was able to walk around for 30 minutes and then I returned to the car while Kristen checked out. I was quite tired afterwards, my stamina was very low so I rested for most of the day. Day 5- Wednesday. It had been six days since the operation and I felt very good. I went to an appointment and to the store. I also spent time outside and moved much more than I had the previous days. I still had pain when I stretched, bent, or twisted- basically anything involving the my core directly. II decided to move into the next phase of the diet because I felt my body was ready for it. I started with a scrambled egg, and I ate it as directed waiting a minute between bites. I ate probably 2/3 of the egg and then was satisfied and I felt even better as the day progressed. Day 6- Thursday. I continued on the phase 2 diet and had more energy as I gave my body more nutrients. I have lost 14 pounds, I started at 305 and at my morning weigh in it was 291. I walked farther and even went on a drive by myself. I absolutely sure I can return to work next week. I have a hard time lying flat on my back because it is hard to get up- but not impossible, I cannot lay on my side. Pain is less frequent but still there at times. My endurance is still quite low, but I feel good. I am happy I made this decision, I think it will be the life changing kick start I need. I feel good at the progress I have made this week.

2 comments:

  1. Yea Mike! Keep up the good work!
    kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I think everything you are doing is great, should I be worried about you being up at the time that you posted this entry?

    ReplyDelete