Thursday, May 21, 2009

Week 3 After WLS

Today marks my third week following my weight loss surgery (WLS as those in the know call it) and I feel ok. My current weight was 280 pounds which makes a total weight loss of 25 pounds; which is not bad for three weeks. I have begun to eat more foods, I don't have a problem with chicken or eggs. I have discovered that green beans are a DEFINITE no right now. I thought I would try them and as soon as I swallowed I had immediate pain followed by extreme discomfort for 20 minutes. I was able to finish the chicken after that. I do not get hungry between meals and I haven't been cranky, which is something I was worried about before surgery as in the past I became a large grouch when I was hungry. I have a lot of energy some days and no energy others. This was beginning to frustrate me and in addition I had only last 2 pounds in the last 5 days. I have not been snacking or drinking things I shouldn't be and I have exercised regularly, the amount depending on my energy level. So this morning I was really frustrated and I started to look around the web for some kind of weight loss expectation (which I still have not found). I did discover a physical process called hibernation syndrome. It basically boils down to this; when your body thinks it is starving it begins to try to slow you down by not giving you energy and in some cases making you depressed so you don't want to move, thus conserving energy as your body is trying to survive. In people who have had WLS this occurs around weeks three or four (which I am in) and can last for up to 6 or 8 weeks. At some point your body decides it is not going to get more food and begins to burn fat for energy. I was very relieved to get this information because it describes what I am going through. I hope it doesn't last too long, I want to move and see more progress. I can tell I am going to have to learn more patience. I have not been in much pain lately, I can get up and down and twist without any issues. I don't have many food cravings and they are very manageable when I do. My plan for the coming week is to keep walking as much as I can and stick to the diet. I still think this was the best decision for me. I will see what the next week brings.

1 comment: